Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Chair Story

Very much a labor of love for me, I  wanted to share these amazing images of some chairs actually being made in India. We so often focus on the end product and not the in between - the time, energy and skill that goes into a hand made chair crafted 3,000 miles away. This 9 month exercise really opened my eyes as to the many humble hands involved in something so seemingly simple. There's a real beauty and honesty to that. 


Village Craftsmen as they inlay and stain the chairs



Near completion....



Sitting proud at their final destination

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the hard work of the "behind the scenes" people who make all our beautiful work possible. I'm constantly amazed how much I rely on all my labor force to make my work a reality and they very rarely get credit they deserve. This was an amazing post. I look forward to reading your blog. I'm, too, new to blogging but I love it. Talk with you soon.

    ReplyDelete